Section on Psychology in Education (SecPE)
If you work with a school-aged child and adolescent population, please consider joining OPA’s Section on Psychology in Education (SecPE). SecPE members currently include psychology practitioners in School Boards, private practice, community agencies, and universities, as well as psychology graduate students.
The Section on Psychology in Education (SecPE)’s objectives are:
- To provide advocacy for school psychology though development and publication of documentation and other activities so that:
- that Ontario students receive evidence-based school psychology services that are of maximum benefit
- that school psychology practitioners to be recognized for their value by government, other professionals, and the public
- To provide Professional Development for school psychology practitioners and others through the annual Dorothy Hill Symposium and other training opportunities
- To share school psychology resources with members through group meetings and online activities
- To act as an information source for psychology professionals working in schools, post-secondary institutions, community agencies and private practice
- To foster communication between school psychology practitioners and other organizations, such as educational institutions, advocacy groups and government
Highlights and Successful Practices of SecPE – some recent examples:
- Development and publication of Professional Practice Guidelines for School Psychologists in Ontario (OPA, 2013)
- Dorothy Hill Symposia: 200-500 attendees; recent topics: Intelligence & Intelligence Tests: More Than Just an IQ Score (2020) Trauma-Informed School Psychology Practice, Learning Disabilities, ADHD, Behavior Intervention
- Formal and informal responses, requests and reports to various government ministries, Infographic on School Psychology’s Role During School Closures (2020) Response to Right to Read Inquiry (Ontario Human Rights Commission, 2020) Auditor General’s 2018 Report (Finance), Minister’s Advisory Council on Special Education, People for Education Annual Survey
Membership in SecPE provides the OPA member with a discounted registration to our annual Dorothy Hill Symposium. As well, all are welcome to attend, our SecPE Council meetings (currently by videoconference) 3 times a year.
Please consider joining SecPE, to make your professional voice heard in our advocacy, education, and networking activities.
Interested in joining SecPE? Contact us